Salam Aidilfitri pop up card

 HR030
 
I started working on these pop up raya cards in early May.....I was supposed to start earlier because I received the order to make them about a month earlier if I am not mistaken but there were a lot of things that came up and my work had to be put on hold for quite a long time. One of the reasons that made it almost impossible for me to work was when we had to rewire the entire house. A fire might start if we didn't do something quick. I had to remove all my things from my studio since it was no longer safe to work in it.  All the things inside it had to be taken out and placed in another room. Since I had a LOT of stuff, it took me at least 3 days to do it!!! Yikes!! 3 days gone just like that. After that, it was hell for me because I was not able to do work comfortably in the other room. Most of the time I was working on the floor and aching all over trying to get some work done because I just cannot just sit around doing nothing. It's just not me. It also took the electricians quite some time to do the rewiring in my studio and plus I requested them to make some shelves. I really needed those shelves badly since I had a lot of things in my studio that needed a space to keep them in. But that was just my room....I had to worry about the wiring done in the other parts of the house as well. I never knew it was going to be that difficult and so time consuming. But I am glad we did it and now we feel a lot safer at home with the rewiring all completed. Alhamdulillah....I thank God that everything went well.
 
 
I was requested to make about 30 pieces of this raya card design because my customer wanted 30 small raya cards and 5 big ones. I'll blog about the big ones later. She was hoping that I could do 40 pieces of the small ones and I wished the same too but since my time was quite limited, I only managed to get done 30. I started by making the ketupat ribbon first like the ones in the photo above because they are the focal point of the card. So it was important to get them done first. Once they are settled, I proceeded with other parts of the card.


Writing the raya wishes with the calligraphy pen was nerve wrecking! The thing is, even though I knew I was not good in writing them, I still did it anyways. HAHA! It's all because I wanted it to be my own. I didn't want it to look like anyone else's. Ever since I started writing my own wishes or sentiments on cards, I never stopped. I never print anymore....I just write them myself. It's more satisfying I suppose. Plus it's a good way for me to practice writing. Nerve wrecking because I had to make sure it all look almost the same in writing. I mean I know they won't be 100% exact! But at least, they look similar.


Back in 2015, I already had the idea to make this mini pop up mosque. In fact I even uploaded a photo of it in my Instagram back then. I had already made 2 similar big pop up mosques for 2 other raya cards that year and was thinking of making the mini one for my friends and family. But I never had the chance to do so due to my other commitments. So it was postponed till this year. The minute my customer requested the raya cards, I just knew I had to use this idea for the cards no matter what.


Cutting the green and dark green foams for the ketupat ribbon was a bit of a challenge really. None of them are exactly the same on all the cards as I cut them randomly using just plain scissors. But it was great seeing how they turned out in the end. I just wanted the frills for the ketupat to be something other than ribbons because they would look a little stiff. I've done it before years ago in my earlier raya card designs. They did look kinda stiff. So by making the frills with foams, I'm able to make them sway to the left and right like as if they are blown by the wind or something like that. Making them look more flowy. I kinda like that flowy effect.


I even made my own envelopes for the raya cards. It's easy to do so with the Martha Stewart's score board. Nothing is impossible with it. It was a breeze!! Don't forget to check out the video of the card below. You'll get to see how the mini pop up mosque pops up when it opens. Thank you!!


3 comments:

HeNRieTTa JoSe said...

they r so cute kak lin...i love the ketupat and the pop up...

Azlina Abdul said...

Thank you so much Henrietta! :)

Maria Qiptiyah said...

Aduh Sis, kagum sungguh dengan kekentalan dan ketelitian Sis Lin. Bravo! Bravo!

Saya sendiri sudah sepi dr quilling/kad..Huhuuhuhu

Featured Post

How to make two tone tear drop shape quilling flowers

We are coming close to mid February and I'm blogging about something that I did last January! LOL! It's been a month sin...